Distro idea

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 14:59:30 MDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Brian Hawkins <brianhks at activeclickweb.com> wrote:
> Yes I'm very familiar with how Mac does it.  I have one.  I love it except
> that there are not very many programs for the Mac.  This technique for
> installing programs seems so brain dead simple, I just don't understand why
> Linux does not go this route.  My suspicion is that the file system layout
> for Linux has a lot of baggage that die hards are not willing to get rid of.

Are you using the same kind of Mac I'm using?  I have yet to be unable
to find a (usually very high quality) free (at least as in root beer)
application to do anything I've wanted.  Between freeware repositories
like MacUpdate and FreeMacWare, and Fink/Darwinports/etc I can do
anything I have had a need to do on my Mac.

/ends plug for Macs

The great thing about Open Source is that if you really dislike
something strongly enough, you're free to change it.

--
Alex Esplin