Distro idea

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Mon Sep 24 14:52:18 MDT 2007

Brian Hawkins wrote:
> I hate installing from source.  I want a binary installer that comes with
> the libraries it depends on and have it install into a single directory.  I
> know it is possible because Windows and Macintosh can do it.  If I could
> just figure out a way to get Linux to do it I would be in heaven.

Please try Klik, Autopackage, and GoboLinux.  Let us know what you
like/dislike about them.

http://klik.atekon.de/
http://www.autopackage.org/
http://www.gobolinux.org/

In fact, an evaluation of these different systems would be great
material for a PLUG presentation.

I am not the right person to evaluate any of these because I've decided
that installing from source is usually the best option for me.  However,
I've also decided that installing from source is *not* the right option
for most other people.

Shane