Distro idea

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Mon Sep 24 14:11:17 MDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Lonnie Olson <lists at kittypee.com> wrote:

> I like your overall idea, but there are a few problems with it.
> 1. Multiple copies of libraries can be really annoying.  Take the
> OpenSSL library and it's trusted root CA list.  Maintaining several
> lists is not fun.

There are some applications that would have to be installed at the system
level.  Kind of like the way windows does it.

2. It will make your $PATH env variable really really long.  Unless you
> want to specify full paths to every command you run.
>
> You can try other distro's which handle package installations of
> non-default versions better.  IMHO, Debian based distros handle it a
> little better, due to the stable,testing,unstable branches.  Gentoo
> handles it much much better due to it's source compiling nature.
>
> However, my overall advice is to just install the non-default version
> from source, then upgrade it to the binary package when, or if that
> becomes available.  In general, the times where you need a version not
> in the default repositories is rare enough to not have to start a whole
> new package management philosophy.

I hate installing from source.  I want a binary installer that comes with
the libraries it depends on and have it install into a single directory.  I
know it is possible because Windows and Macintosh can do it.  If I could
just figure out a way to get Linux to do it I would be in heaven.

Brian