Distro idea

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 11:43:50 MDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Brian Hawkins <brianhks at activeclickweb.com> wrote:
> This brings up another grip of mine.  Kernel modules that must be rebuild
> whenever the kernel is updated.  Especially when those updates are minor
> version changes (probably bug fixes).  There are lots of ways to make this
> smoother for end users.  Why are the kernel people living in the dark ages
> on this?
>
> Brian

Because Linus Torvalds does not believe (and strongly defends) that
binary compatibility is a hindrance not a help.  I TOTALLY disagree.
I understand that not worrying about maintaining a backwards
compatible ABI can make life a little easier for kernel developers who
want to implement new features, but it's a nightmare for end uses who
just want their kernel modules to work.  This is the main reason I
have any interest in Solaris/OpenSolaris.  10+ years and they've never
broken the ABI.  Does anyone know if *BSD has a stable ABI?

-Bryan