Distro idea

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Mon Sep 24 11:14:13 MDT 2007

> "Brian Hawkins" <brianhks at activeclickweb.com> writes:
> >
> > OK I've ranted long enough, here is my solution.  Change the package
> manager
> > to install everything under one directory.  For example if I were to
> install
> > Postgres on my system it would create a directory /programs/postgres82/
> and
> > put the program there.  In the program directory it would create a /usr
> /var
> > /bin or whatever it needed for the application to install.  The package
> > manager would also install whatever dependencies it required in the same
> > location.  Think of it as doing a chroot before installing the program
> and
> > it's dependencies.  I Then change the loader to look in the local
> program
> > directory for libraries before it goes to the system wide directories.
>
> This is, coincidence or not, more or less how Mac OS X applications
> are distributed, except there's no package manager.  An application
> bundle is a special kind of directory that contains all the resources,
> libraries, etc. that an application needs.  You just throw it wherever
> you'd like on your filesystem, and if you want to get rid of it, you
> just kill the bundle and it's all gone.  No need to track dependencies
> since they're included.

Yes I'm very familiar with how Mac does it.  I have one.  I love it except
that there are not very many programs for the Mac.  This technique for
installing programs seems so brain dead simple, I just don't understand why
Linux does not go this route.  My suspicion is that the file system layout
for Linux has a lot of baggage that die hards are not willing to get rid of.

Brian