Distro idea

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Mon Sep 24 11:12:33 MDT 2007

On 9/24/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:

> On Sunday 23 September 2007, Barry Roberts wrote:
> > You still have a kernel.  Some libraries (especially libc) just don't
> > work with other kernels.  Plus there are kernel-related things that crop
> > up.  If your program accesses USB, do you assume udev?  You can't just
> > install it if the kernel isn't built for it.
>
> There may be some weird corner case that I am unaware of, but from my
> understanding the kernel OS interface has been very stable for nearly the
> last decade.  If you have a statically linked binary from years ago, it
> will
> still work today.  This is why many commercial products ship as statically
> linked binaries.

This brings up another grip of mine.  Kernel modules that must be rebuild
whenever the kernel is updated.  Especially when those updates are minor
version changes (probably bug fixes).  There are lots of ways to make this
smoother for end users.  Why are the kernel people living in the dark ages
on this?

Brian