Distro idea

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Mon Sep 24 09:23:58 MDT 2007

On Sunday 23 September 2007, Barry Roberts wrote:
> You still have a kernel.  Some libraries (especially libc) just don't
> work with other kernels.  Plus there are kernel-related things that crop
> up.  If your program accesses USB, do you assume udev?  You can't just
> install it if the kernel isn't built for it.

There may be some weird corner case that I am unaware of, but from my
understanding the kernel OS interface has been very stable for nearly the
last decade.  If you have a statically linked binary from years ago, it will
still work today.  This is why many commercial products ship as statically
linked binaries.