Ubuntu, KDE and wireless weirdness?

Jacob Albretsen jakea at xmission.com
Sun Sep 23 22:29:46 MDT 2007

On Saturday 22 September 2007, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 04:20:25PM -0600, Steve wrote:
> > Hey everyone,
> > I've been running ubuntu edgy without any problems on my Dell C840
> > laptop, since edgy was released.
> > Today though I've started having some weirdness.
> > Essentially what happens is I boot up, KDM runs as normal, then I log in.
> > When I log in KDE comes up and then the system essentially hard
> > freezes for a few minutes.
> > No matter what I go to run, nothing will launch. And
> > ctrl+alt+backspace does not work.
>
> You aren't very specific on your hardware or software. So I'll hazard
> a few guesses.
>
> If you have Ethernet as well as wireless, can you SSH in to the
> computer while the screen is locked up?
>
> If you are running Network Manager, you should have the latest and
> greatest of NM and your kernel, and any firmware for your wireless
> card. On Fedora I am running:
>
> kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.i686
> NetworkManager-0.6.5-7.fc7.i386
>
> You might try an Ubuntu 7.04 live CD or a 7.10 alpha prerelease live
> CD. 7.10 is supposed to have the 2.6.22 kernel, which I've been
> pleased with for wireless.

Like Charles said, lack of knowing hardware.

I had the x-server freak out on me and would not start when I did a kernel
update in edgy.  This was 64 bit BTW.  Since I didn't have the time to play
with it, I just went back to the other kernel until recently when I
reinstalled with fiesty a few weeks ago.