Distro idea

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Sun Sep 23 10:39:56 MDT 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007, Brian Hawkins wrote:

> Change the package manager to install everything under one directory.
> For example if I were to install Postgres on my system it would create a
> directory /programs/postgres82/ and put the program there.

I think the easiest way to achieve that for the widest variety of packages
is to build from source into a separate target directory.

Another option is OpenPKG, which allows relocatable installations of
packages:

http://www.openpkg.org/product/packages/?package=postgresql

It of course has dependencies, but they're all self-contained in their
system.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen