Ubuntu, KDE and wireless weirdness?

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 17:20:11 MDT 2007

Sorry I should have said soft locked, not hard locked.

i.e. I can move the mouse, press buttons etc.  It's just that other
than ctrl+alt+f(whatever), none of the keypresses produce a result
(for instance the meta key, normally brings up the K menu, in this
state it does nothing).

I can however drop into bash using ctrl+alt+f1and resolve the lock up
by by manually bringing up my wireless.

I didn't go into any hardware specifics, because I don't feel this is
a hardware issue.
My best guess at this point is something in a recent update changed
the order in which things are brought up.

Where as before, my networking was brought up prior to run level 5.
It's looking more and more like the recent update (or possibly
something else which I can't yet figure out), has changed it so
wireless networking is not brought up until after run level 5 is
reached.

For some reason, something in KDE is holding up the whole works until
it does something that evidently needs my wireless networking to be up
and running (note I have not tried this with wired yet)

Anyways thats my line of thinking right now.  All I can think to do at
this point is find out everything involved in my boot sequence and
what is running at what run levels.

Sincerely,
Steve