Ubuntu, KDE and wireless weirdness?

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Sat Sep 22 17:05:28 MDT 2007

On Sat, Sep 22, 2007 at 04:20:25PM -0600, Steve wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I've been running ubuntu edgy without any problems on my Dell C840
> laptop, since edgy was released.
> Today though I've started having some weirdness.
> Essentially what happens is I boot up, KDM runs as normal, then I log in.
> When I log in KDE comes up and then the system essentially hard
> freezes for a few minutes.
> No matter what I go to run, nothing will launch. And
> ctrl+alt+backspace does not work.

You aren't very specific on your hardware or software. So I'll hazard
a few guesses.

If you have Ethernet as well as wireless, can you SSH in to the
computer while the screen is locked up?

If you are running Network Manager, you should have the latest and
greatest of NM and your kernel, and any firmware for your wireless
card. On Fedora I am running:

kernel-2.6.22.5-76.fc7.i686
NetworkManager-0.6.5-7.fc7.i386

You might try an Ubuntu 7.04 live CD or a 7.10 alpha prerelease live
CD. 7.10 is supposed to have the 2.6.22 kernel, which I've been
pleased with for wireless.