[OT] memory management -- was Re: itoa'd you so?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Sep 20 17:28:53 MDT 2007

Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> writes:

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned Aspect Oriented Programming for
> debugging, which to me is a textbook no-brainer application. It
> operates (potentially) directly on the parse tree and should be ideal
> for removing/adding debugging code at build time (or even run
> time). Is it dead?

Not dead, but since it often requires language features that aren't
provided by most mainstream languages, it also requires new compilers
and stuff.  That bumps up the cost of adoption a bit.

It's interesting to note that Gregor Kiczales, inventor of AoP and
AspectJ, had earlier done a lot of work on the CLOS Meta-Object
Protocol.  Unsurprisingly, you can implement AoP in Common Lisp with a
Meta-Object Protocol implementation and some macros. :)

                --Levi