[OT] memory management -- was Re: itoa'd you so?

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Thu Sep 20 15:54:10 MDT 2007

Levi Pearson wrote:
> Most user-interactive desktop applications aren't really dealing with
> 'raw speed', whatever that means.  I'm not really sure where the
> slowness of modern desktop applications comes from, but I'd point the
> finger at the mountains of code beneath the surface before I pointed
> at the language implementations at the foundation.  When it comes to
> raw calculating speed, Java and C# are actually pretty fast these
> days.  It's when you need to do custom memory handling for good
> performance that C++ wins.

I agree with all your points, but wanted to comment on the one above.

We might get a glimpse into who wins the Java vs. C++ desktop
application performance battle once Qt Jambi is more mature. That'll
eliminate the "mountains of code" and provide an apples-to-apples
comparison of languages I hope.

--Dave