[OT] memory management -- was Re: itoa'd you so?

Alex Esplin alex.esplin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 19 17:25:46 MDT 2007

On 9/19/07, Michael L Torrie <torriem at chem.byu.edu> wrote:
> Bryan Sant wrote:
> > Oh the joys of life with manual memory management :-)
>
> Manual memory management is often, in my opinion, a huge plus of C and
> C++.  With reference-counting smart pointers and destructors, memory
> management in C++ is very straight-forward, fast, and safe.  Just
> understanding a bit about how C++ does scoping, and you can very easily
> build and destroy entire data structures all without a single leak and
> without having to rely on a garbage collector.  Not saying a GC is bad;
> simply that it's not always necessary.

This is one of the reasons why I'm starting to like Objective-C so
much.  I started learning it because I figured it would be the way to
go for some stuff I want to write for Macs here at work, but the more
I learn about it, the more I see places where the little extra it does
beyond C is a very good extra.

--
Alex Esplin