itoa'd you so?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Sep 19 14:25:15 MDT 2007

Steve <smorrey at gmail.com> writes:

> I came up with 2 solutions which both amounted to roughly the same code.
>
> std::string itoa(int in){
> 	std::stringstream out;
> 	out << in;
> 	return(out.str());
> }
>
> and
>
> char* itoa(int in){
> 	std::stringstream out;
> 	out << in;
> 	return(out.rdbuf.c_str());
> }
>
> So my question is, what is wrong with this method (I haven't tested it
> so there may be a minor syntax error, but that aside)?

What's wrong with that method is that it's using the standard library,
which was explicitly not available.  C++ kind of hides the fact that
you're essentially calling itoa() when you do out << in there, once
you go through the overloaded function that implements <<, etc.

So, try doing it again in plain C without using any standard library
functions.

                --Levi