mail stuck in sendmail's queue

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:24:01 MDT 2007

So I have a bunch of messages that originated with mailman that are
stuck in the sendmail queue because someone put in a bad local address
in the list, and so the messages are stuck on that bad address, and not
delivering to the remainder of the list.  I added a temporary alias for
this bad address, but restarting sendmail won't process these messages
that are stuck.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to deal with this?
I've asked sendmail to reprocess the queue with sendmail -q (and various
variants of -q), but no dice.  They'rejust stuck, and there are no
messages in /var/log/maillog to indicate it's even trying again.  If a
sendmail guru might be able to help out, that would be wonderful!

Michael