mail redirect in aliases or virtualusertable?

Jon Jensen jon at endpoint.com
Tue Sep 18 13:55:15 MDT 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Corey Edwards wrote:

>>> What's the difference between setting up pseudo account mail redirects
>>> in…
>>>
>>> /etc/aliases
>>>
>>> …and…
>>>
>>> /etc/mail/virtualusertable
>>>
>> aliases only uses local accounts.  virtualaliases (IIRC is the
>> directive) will allow you to forward mail from any domain you accept
>> mail for to any other domain.  For example,
>>
>> bill at utosc.org   bill at gmail.com
>> *@myfriendlyfunemaildomain.com clint at utosc.org
>>
>> the left column is for users and domains that you accept mail for.
>> The right column is the destination they will *actually* be sent to,
>> whether or not their on your machine.
>
> /etc/aliases can handle non-local destinations as well. For example, on
> my server I have
>
>        netflix: tensai, my_wife's_email at yahoo.com
>
> (No that is not my wife's real email address, and no Jayce^ you can't
> email her).
>
> I've never used /etc/mail/virtualusertable. It all depends on what MTA
> you're running. I'm guessing Sendmail or maybe Postfix, neither of which
> I have much familiarity with but others do. What server are you running?

It's got to be Sendmail.

The file is actually /etc/mail/virtusertable ("virt", not "virtual").

/etc/aliases is system-wide across all domains on the left side, which
virtusertable can have full email addresses in different domains on the
left side. But virtusertable can't do pipes on the right side IIRC.

Jon

--
Jon Jensen
End Point Corporation