mail redirect in aliases or virtualusertable?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Sep 18 13:48:00 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 13:31 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> On 9/18/07, Wade Preston Shearer <lists at wadeshearer.com> wrote:
> > What's the difference between setting up pseudo account mail
> > redirects in…
> >
> > /etc/aliases
> >

> > …and…
> >
> > /etc/mail/virtualusertable
> >

> aliases only uses local accounts.  virtualaliases (IIRC is the
> directive) will allow you to forward mail from any domain you accept
> mail for to any other domain.  For example,
>
> bill at utosc.org   bill at gmail.com
> *@myfriendlyfunemaildomain.com clint at utosc.org
>
> the left column is for users and domains that you accept mail for.
> The right column is the destination they will *actually* be sent to,
> whether or not their on your machine.

/etc/aliases can handle non-local destinations as well. For example, on
my server I have

        netflix: tensai, my_wife's_email at yahoo.com

(No that is not my wife's real email address, and no Jayce^ you can't
email her).

I've never used /etc/mail/virtualusertable. It all depends on what MTA
you're running. I'm guessing Sendmail or maybe Postfix, neither of which
I have much familiarity with but others do. What server are you running?

Corey