Colocation with Veracity

Gary Thornock gthornock at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 15 09:57:28 MDT 2007

Roberto Mello wrote:
> We're looking into co-location facilities around the state. One
> of our big-pluses-if-we-can-get-it is either a point-to-point
> or some connection to UTOPIA that is better than going through
> the public internet. This is because we need to transfer about
> 1 GiB/day of files to one of our partners whose servers are on
> UTOPIA. Sometimes (like towards the end of the month) we need
> to transfer a lot more than that.
>
> The options that we have been able to find so far are:
>
> - Qwest's QMOE product, which is a point-to-point. It costs
>   $1600/mo for a 5 Mbit pipe. - An UTOPIA TLS (Transparent LAN
>   Service), a point-to-point within UTOPIA.
>
> - Veracity says that if we co-locate with them in the iProvo
>   NOC, they can get us a very fat point-to-point to our partner
>   on UTOPIA for a very attractive price. The iProvo NOC is
>   nice, but no biometric access, and there's not much security
>   around the building, and it's pretty clear that they just
>   started colocating there.
>
> I know several people who have had problems with Vearacity with
> their residential service -- which they say has now been broken
> off into its own company Nuvont, so it's all in the past, etc.
> etc.
>
> Since our colocated servers' internet access would be through
> Veracity, does anyone have such commercial (not residential
> please) experience with them? Has anyone here colocated with
> them before (I'm guessing not)? How's the company? Is their
> networking staff knowledgeable?
>
> Suggestions, comments are highly welcome.

I haven't had any complaints with business internet service
through Veracity, but if you're looking for colocation with good
security and biometric access, here are a couple of other ideas
that might work:

- XMission has a very nice colocation facility and is also a
  UTOPIA provider. They might be able to work out a good UTOPIA
  connection.

- MStar is also a UTOPIA provider and hosts equipment at ViaWest.
  That might also work to get a good UTOPIA connection.