[OT] Linux Printers

Justin Gedge gedgezilla at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 16:45:56 MDT 2007

many years ago- I had to purchase printers for UNIX [solaris] network.  Back
then- the company I worked for kept everything PostScript.  Made it feasible
on the UNIX side- on the windows side it also kept everything consistent.
At the time the /cheap/ printer was an HP2100TN.  You paid extra for the
Post Script features and you paid extra for the network printserver.

couple years ago- I bought the next generation in that line for home.
HP2300.  It appears that HP has assimilated [or emulates] PostScript as part
of their newer PCL [Printer Control Language].  I first saw this on one of
the really cheap low end [hp1300] printers.  You could feed in raw PS code
and it knew what to do.

If you have PostScript language available- you can set the printer up with a
raw driver.  Also makes it nice on the windows side.  After installing the
windows driver- search for the .ppd [PostScript Printer Description] file.
With this- you can download the generic Adobe driver.  The driver will ask
you for the ppd file [as do some of the newer linux drivers and programs].

overall- the newer HP printers should be good- just look for PostScript and
everything should work well.

Justin Gedge