Redundant web servers.

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 15:54:28 MDT 2007

On 9/14/07, Dennis <devel at muhlesteins.com> wrote:

> I'd like to create an array of servers as described here:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-linux-ha/index.html

Good article. Thanks for the link!

> What do you guys think would be best:
>
> 1) Combine services (web sites) into the same virtual servers, so one
> group of servers hosts all the web sites.  (Like have one cluster of 4
> servers).  In this case, I'd have apache virtual servers, LVS virtual
> servers and perhaps a couple other virtual servers for sites that didn't
> need as much availability or something.
>
> 2) Ditch the virtual servers all together and install all the services
> on all the physical machines.  Each machine would have an LVS-ha
> director that manages the IP and could load balance between the 4
> machines for content.
>
> 3) Something I haven't thought of?

Unless you need different kernels, or different operating systems then
I don't see much advantage in using Xen. If you need or want
virtualization, but don't need different OS or kernel, just use
OpenVZ. It's very easy to setup, has a much much smaller performance
hit than anything else, much much smaller memory requirements, and
still give you much of the same benefits (compartmentalization,
"reboots", different slices of resources for different services, etc.)

I would look into using OpenVZ for the apache servers with LVS in the
host nodes.

-Roberto