[OT] Linux Printers

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Sep 14 09:19:13 MDT 2007

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 at 22:20 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Joseph Hall wrote:
> > I hate to go off topic by asking about something Linux related, but I
> > need some opinions, preferably on Linux-friendly printers. Can anyone
> > direct me to a good Linux-friendly printer that is currently on the
> > market? I'm not looking for much. At the moment, I only have the
> > occasional file that I need to print out (mostly airline boarding
> > passes for work), but I'm sure that if I brought a printer home, my
> > wife would be interested in printing out photos.
> >
> > Does anyone have any current printers that they have found to work
> > reasonably well in recent Linux distros?
>
> FWIW, don't buy a Samsung printer/scanner combo like I did.  The
> hardware is good, but even though they advertise Linux compatibility,
> the driver is a proprietary binary blob.  I'll do HP or Epson next time.

I'm happy with my samsung scx4100. It is a binary blob, and at first
there were some issues (they've been smoothed out since), but it works
great in Linux and it's an affordable laser (B&W) printer and scanner
combo. If you have the money though, by all means go with a postscript
printer that sits on the LAN instead of the parallell port or USB. You
can't go wrong there.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach