[OT] Linux Printers

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Sep 11 00:15:04 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 22:00 -0600, Brandon Stout wrote:
> I asked the same question a few months ago.  The responses at that time,
> along with my own research, led me to purchase an HP PhotoSmart C3135.
> I needed an all in one, so that's what this printer is.  This printer
> works perfectly for me in OpenSuse 10.1 and 10.2.  I actually like the
> scanner software (Sane) in Linux more.  One thing we all seemed to agree
> on in that previous thread:  Avoid Lexmark.  Personally, I'd say avoid
> it for Linux, Windows, Mac, and anything else.  For one thing, the ink
> costs about as much as getting a new printer...

I remember reading somewhere, can't recall exactly where so put this
down as an anecdote, but I do remember reading that inside Lexmark there
are basically two divisions, the guys who make inkjets and the guys who
make lasers. The inkjets are like you say, not worth the $10 printer
cable. The lasers OTOH are made to a higher standard and work well. In
my experience that has been true. I had a Lexmark laser that was a
workhorse. I would never get one of their inkjets, not even for free.

Corey