truncated files, or mplayer madness

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Thu Sep 6 18:03:28 MDT 2007

So I'm trying to use mplayer to give me .wav output of a streamed audio
program, say NPR's all things considered.  The problem is that the link
is actually a playlist (can't seem to download it properly though).  So
mplayer goes through the sections one by one and dutifully writes out
the file, and then when the next one comes along, immediately truncates
the file, which is very useless.

I thought I'd be smart and write the audio output to stdout, and then
redirect it or concatenate it to a file.  Surprise! the stdout stream is
truncated too, so the same things happens, which I find odd.

Does anyone have any solution to this problem?  All the mplayer list can
suggest is that one download the playlist and run each url manually.
Yet I can't do this.  If I download the asx file, then download the url
contained in there, I just get the original asx file again.  Very
frustrating.  Does anyone know how to get the playlist urls?

thanks.

Michael