Used DSL modems

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Thu Sep 6 16:45:29 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 16:26 -0600, Erik R. Jensen wrote:
> Corey Edwards wrote:
> > The new Actiontecs are pretty awesome. Why I had one that lasted for 15
> > whole minutes before I wanted to throw it out the window. That's gotta
> > be some kinda record there.
>
> I have an Actiontec 701WG. One thing that has improved uptime for me has
> been to reboot the router, then log into the busybox shell on the router
> and execute the following:
>
> echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max
>
> echo 3600 >
> /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established
>
> echo 60 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait
>
> I had some large rsync processes that caused me uptime problems and
> changing these netfilter parameters on the router helped immensely. The
> defaults were pretty lame. The settings do not stick on a reboot.

That's good info to keep in mind. I've seen all sorts of random and
negative behavior from Actiontecs. For mine, I actually got it to
stabilize simply by turning off wireless. Now that it's just an ethernet
router, it's much better behaved. I also avoid making changes to it like
the plague because it used to occasionally default itself. Not cool.

Corey