Used DSL modems

Erik R. Jensen erikrj at netradius.com
Thu Sep 6 16:26:24 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards wrote:
> The new Actiontecs are pretty awesome. Why I had one that lasted for 15
> whole minutes before I wanted to throw it out the window. That's gotta
> be some kinda record there.

I have an Actiontec 701WG. One thing that has improved uptime for me has
been to reboot the router, then log into the busybox shell on the router
and execute the following:

echo 8192 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_max

echo 3600 >
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_established

echo 60 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_tcp_timeout_close_wait

I had some large rsync processes that caused me uptime problems and
changing these netfilter parameters on the router helped immensely. The
defaults were pretty lame. The settings do not stick on a reboot.

--
Erik R. Jensen