Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Wed Oct 31 13:49:20 MDT 2007

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 at 16:20 -0600, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> 1. The firewall box was the oldest box I had laying around, so it isn't
> beefy.  Doesn't the audio encoding consume quite a bit of processing
> power? (That is if I can solve #3)

Depends on the definition of "old" and the definition of "quite a bit".
In any case, Asterisk may not be the best option, although it certainly
is one. By point #3 you need an ATA or other analog hardware, so you
could get by with just an ATA or OpenSER and an ATA (You may find it
easier to punch through the NAT with a configurable ATA, or you may
still need that proxy). You wouldn't need to introduce Asterisk unless
you wanted some of the features that Asterisk's back-to-back nature
makes possible, like voicemail and conferences.

> 2. The Sipura ATA required ZERO configuration to get my analog phones to
> just work.  The asterisk box will require configuring and tuning.
> (Which is more of an inconvenience than a problem)

And being locked into BraodVoice's config isn't inconvenient? ;-)

> 3. Even if I install asterisk, how do I get my analog phones to connect?
>  This was the whole reason I was using the Sipura ATA (Analog Telephone
> Adapter) in the first place.  I looked at the web configuration page of
> the Sipura ATA, and all of the options are only accessible with the
> admin password, which of course BroadVoice set, and it is not any of the
> default passwords I could find online.  Do you think there is a
> possibility that BroadVoice would give me the admin password to their
> hardware?

Your best bet is to get an ATA. Like the one you have. But configurable.
See if you can't figure out how to unlock it.

> For now I have switched back to having the Linksys be my router, so I
> have time (as in my wife isn't banging a pan on my head for having a
> dead phone) to get this working right.

Always a good way to approach anything, especially VOIP. Test the guts
out of it.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

    -- Johann Sebastian Bach