RAID Partition Restore

Nicholas Leippe nick at leippe.com
Wed Oct 31 09:46:37 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> Most people get a 3rd disk and use
> RAID 5 as you get good disk capacity, and decent performance.  Its all
> about compromise.

I'll agree with all of your suggestions save this one. While you didn't
define 'decent', raid 5 does not generally provide anywhere near what I'd
consider 'decent' write performance. While for the price/GB ratio may be
worth it for a level of performance that you may consider at
least 'acceptable', the hazards of raid 5 impose a risk that for me outweigh
the benefits.

I used to be a proponent for raid5, but my experience has changed my opinion.

http://www.miracleas.com/BAARF/BAARF2.html