RAID Partition Restore

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 00:11:13 MDT 2007

On 10/30/07, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:
> I have this motherboard:
>
> http://msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb
>
> I have 2 SATA drives using RAID 1 (striping - all files get written to
> both drives for faster writing).  They are 200 gig drives if you measure
> it the way hardware people do, which means they are really about 186
> real gigs each.  I had a 40 gig partition for the OS, and the other 332
> gigs on an extended partition.  Since I got built a 64 bit system a few
> months ago, this is my Windows machine.  I was happy, with 300 gigs of
> extra space until my backup partition disappeared.  When I boot, the
> RAID BIOS screen says there are no partitions defined, so I guess it's
> good I can still boot the machine.
>
> I don't understand exactly how this works, but apparently the RAID is
> software-driven even though I set up the array in a BIOS screen before I
> load Windows.  My question:
>
> Do any of you know of a way I can restore the lost partition?
>
> Fortunately I have everything backed up, but restoring all the ISO files
> for all the CDs I have archived and put into storage can prove quite
> time consuming...  I used Daemon Tools to load all my CDs virtually,
> thus avoiding any scratches to the original CD ROMs.

Brandon,

It is most definitely software RAID.  The only question is whether the
software raid is in firmware or in the operating system.  The easy way
to tell if its in the OS is to use the mdadm tool (assuming its not
too old, otherwise raidtools could help).  I guess I should say that
I'm assuming you're running Linux since you are asking questions in
the LUG mailing list.  Try the following command and see if you get
any results as this should exist if you do have software raid on the
OS.

mdadm --detail /dev/md0 (or /dev/md1, /dev/md2, etc.)

You should get a pretty output (in text) detailing the RAID device.
If nothing appears, or you receive an error, its possible that either
the RAID device is broken or that you have a RAID card on your
motherboard that uses the firmware RAID.  This is a bit more tricky
but there's generally an option you can hit on boot to see those raid
devices as well.

I sure hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clint