RAID Partition Restore

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Oct 30 22:30:22 MDT 2007

Brandon Stout wrote:
> I have 2 SATA drives using RAID 1 (striping - all files get written to
> both drives for faster writing).

I believe RAID 1 is mirroring, and RAID 0 is striping. [1]

If you are using RAID 1, mirroring the two drives, the the maximum disk
capacity would be the capacity of one of the drives.  So if you had 332
GB available then you probably were using RAID 0 striping, which is a
misnomer as there is no "redundancy" with RAID 0.

Furthermore you are using the cheap SATA BIOS RAID which, in my opinion,
is worse then standard "software" RAID as you are relying on a RAID
setup that is only standard to your motherboard.  At least with an OS
fronting the "software" RAID you can generally get away with moving it
to another like machine running the same OS, or at least restoring it
from another like machine.

As far as restoring, yes you probably can restore your partitions, but
probably not without the help of a data recovery service, or some
forensic tools.

Now as a suggestions, you may want to look at doing RAID 1 mirroring for
your OS partition, maybe a RAID 1 mirror for a data partition, and a
RAID 0 striping partition as a temporary space partition if you feel the
performance gain is worth the risk.  Most people get a 3rd disk and use
RAID 5 as you get good disk capacity, and decent performance.  Its all
about compromise.

Oh and switch to Linux  :-)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID#Standard_RAID_levels