RAID Partition Restore

Brandon Stout bms at mscis.org
Tue Oct 30 21:49:44 MDT 2007

I have this motherboard:

http://msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K7N2_Delta2-LSR&class=mb

I have 2 SATA drives using RAID 1 (striping - all files get written to
both drives for faster writing).  They are 200 gig drives if you measure
it the way hardware people do, which means they are really about 186
real gigs each.  I had a 40 gig partition for the OS, and the other 332
gigs on an extended partition.  Since I got built a 64 bit system a few
months ago, this is my Windows machine.  I was happy, with 300 gigs of
extra space until my backup partition disappeared.  When I boot, the
RAID BIOS screen says there are no partitions defined, so I guess it's
good I can still boot the machine.

I don't understand exactly how this works, but apparently the RAID is
software-driven even though I set up the array in a BIOS screen before I
load Windows.  My question:

Do any of you know of a way I can restore the lost partition?

Fortunately I have everything backed up, but restoring all the ISO files
for all the CDs I have archived and put into storage can prove quite
time consuming...  I used Daemon Tools to load all my CDs virtually,
thus avoiding any scratches to the original CD ROMs.

Brandon Stout
http://mscis.org