Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Oct 30 17:45:40 MDT 2007

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2007, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> us chickens."  Also, Asterisk is a good way to tap into incredibly
>> inexpensive VOIP options such as:
>>
>> http://icall.com/carriers/
>> http://les.net
>
> Have you tried icall.com/carriers?
>
> They looked really good for what want to do, so I set up an account, and
> submitted an LNP order several months ago.
> After two months, I inquired to the status and they said they had misplaced
> it, but had found it and would put it through.
> After four months, I get no responses whatsoever when I email their support.
> So, I haven't gotten to use them yet, and am very leary of persuing it
> further--I think I'm going to demand a refund and get away from them...
>
> Do you have a good experience with them to share?

Well, when they asked for account verification, I didn't go any further.
 I have a balance of a little less than $10 that I can use for outgoing
calls, but they won't let me add any more to the balance unless I verify
my account.  From what you say, I'm glad I didn't go any further.

I like les.net a lot more, although the company has a habit of not
responding to emails, so I do my own tech support--but that's forgivable
considering their price.  A public IP address works best with les.net,
although in that mode SIP connections arrive on a strange high-numbered
port.

NB: These are all just experiments; I'm not ready to convert my home
phone service to any VOIP provider.  When my analog phone fails, there's
just one company to call and the problem gets fixed without any help
from me.  VOIP tech support is much more complex.

Shane