Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Oct 30 16:20:01 MDT 2007

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Kenneth Burgener wrote:
>> lsmod shows a "conntrack_sip" loaded, so I assume it somehow magically
>> detects SIP traffic, or is there something more I need for the
>> configuration?
>
> Probably not.  At this point you really need tcpdump and wireshark to
> find out what's wrong.  Alternatively, you could run Asterisk or a SIP
> proxy on the router, as others wisely suggested.
>
> Shane

Dropping the Sipura ATA is a possibility, but this introduces three new
problems.

1. The firewall box was the oldest box I had laying around, so it isn't
beefy.  Doesn't the audio encoding consume quite a bit of processing
power? (That is if I can solve #3)

2. The Sipura ATA required ZERO configuration to get my analog phones to
just work.  The asterisk box will require configuring and tuning.
(Which is more of an inconvenience than a problem)

3. Even if I install asterisk, how do I get my analog phones to connect?
 This was the whole reason I was using the Sipura ATA (Analog Telephone
Adapter) in the first place.  I looked at the web configuration page of
the Sipura ATA, and all of the options are only accessible with the
admin password, which of course BroadVoice set, and it is not any of the
default passwords I could find online.  Do you think there is a
possibility that BroadVoice would give me the admin password to their
hardware?

For now I have switched back to having the Linksys be my router, so I
have time (as in my wife isn't banging a pan on my head for having a
dead phone) to get this working right.

Suggestions?

The options I am looking into for now are:
- setting up the firewall in bridging mode, as was suggested
- asking the Shorewall mailing lists, as I still have hopes to use Shorewall
- switching to Asterisk (not sure what to use for ATA?)

Once again, thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
Kenneth