Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Oct 30 13:42:56 MDT 2007

Shane Hathaway wrote:
>> 1) for whatever reason twisted seems to prefer to reinvent wheels
>> rather than work with the rest of the python community
>
> A specific example is logging.  Python has a logging package and Twisted
> has a different, slightly incompatible logging package.  There is no
> good reason for this except historical baggage.  It's true that the
> Twisted community needs to try harder to use other people's libraries
> instead of invent their own.

Right.  Which brings up point #3:

3) The Twisted developers are pretty arrogant and respond to any bug
report with "give us a formal test case."  Twisted development is being
primarily funded by a private company, and so I guess the community kind
of has to follow them.  Not the most ideal situation.

> However, Twisted provides a lot of stuff that really does not exist
> elsewhere.  All those asynchronous server protocols make it easy to
> build interesting services without poring over RFCs.
>
>> 2) twisted's many layers of abstraction add a significant amount of
>> overhead -- function calls are not cheap in python
>
> Twisted is certainly not an ideal web server (I like mod_wsgi a lot for
> that purpose), but those abstractions are powerful for building
> failure-tolerant network services.

Yes, Twisted's problem domains are more in the realm of protocol
servers.  Things like web serving are best left to the specialized
services that can dispatch to blessed python code.