Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Tue Oct 30 13:03:41 MDT 2007

Jonathan Ellis wrote:
> On 10/30/07, Jordy <jordy at gundy.org> wrote:
>> As an up-and-coming python hacker, I've been intrigued by what I've read
>> about twisted.  Does anyone here have experience with it?  Can you
>> recommend it / advise against it for writing network servers in python?
>
> I'm not really a fan because
>
> 1) for whatever reason twisted seems to prefer to reinvent wheels
> rather than work with the rest of the python community

A specific example is logging.  Python has a logging package and Twisted
has a different, slightly incompatible logging package.  There is no
good reason for this except historical baggage.  It's true that the
Twisted community needs to try harder to use other people's libraries
instead of invent their own.

However, Twisted provides a lot of stuff that really does not exist
elsewhere.  All those asynchronous server protocols make it easy to
build interesting services without poring over RFCs.

> 2) twisted's many layers of abstraction add a significant amount of
> overhead -- function calls are not cheap in python

Twisted is certainly not an ideal web server (I like mod_wsgi a lot for
that purpose), but those abstractions are powerful for building
failure-tolerant network services.

Shane