Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Mon Oct 29 22:35:02 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards wrote:
> ...I'm doubtful that a
> proxy is required. Clearly removing NAT is the best solution, but then
> again I'm a NAT-hating bigot so don't take my word for it.

How does one go about removing NAT considering most ISPs (including
mine) include only one IP address?  To add even 5 addresses, which will
not cover all of my computers, costs a significant increase, almost
double (at which point I would just drop the VoIP phone, and switch to
their digital voice phone), and to get 15 addresses would be unheard of.

As I was discussing with a coworker, there are ideal perfect solutions,
and then there is reality.  Unfortunately, my budget resides in the
later.   :-)

As far as SER and OpenSER, would I conceptually install these upon the
firewall, and they will magically intercept the SIP traffic and make it
work, or does the Sipra box have to be aware of the proxy?

Thanks,
Kenneth