Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at utahpython.org
Mon Oct 29 15:15:04 MDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> I like Java's checked exceptions. To me, it's what makes them useful.
> C++ exceptions are basically useless because the compiler does not force
> them to be caught. Why did Sun decide to ditch them in Java 7?

Probably because there usually really isn't anything useful you can
_do_ in such cases.  If my wireless goes down mid-transfer, there's
not a whole lot the app can do besides put up a "sorry, you're hosed"
dialog.  So having the compiler make me add "throws
YouAreHosedException" is just more boilerplate.

(So the real question is, when the rest of the language and culture is
so in love with inflicting boilerplate on developers, why take this
example out?)

-Jonathan