Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at utahpython.org
Mon Oct 29 15:10:21 MDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's going away in Java 7.  No more checked exceptions.

Poor java, always one version away from not sucking.

Maybe if the Python and Ruby and Haskell and Erlang communities
stopped all development for five or six years Java could catch up.
But probably not; C# started at rough parity and leaves Java farther
behind every year.

Now that I'm writing Java again I have to wonder what planet Bryan is
on where "it's tolerable because I use Eclipse to autogenerate the
boilerplate!"  Eclipse is the sorriest waste of thousands of man-hours
that I've ever seen.

(Obviously I'm not a militant Java hater or I wouldn't have taken a
job writing it, but the kind of mental gymnastics you'd have to go
through to keep pretending to yourself that Java stands at the
pinnacle of language evolution and the next release will only raise
the bar higher boggles my mind.)

-Jonathan