Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 14:56:49 MDT 2007

On 10/29/07, Dave Smith <dave at thesmithfam.org> wrote:
> Bryan Sant wrote:
> > Remoting objects and "Remote Method Invocation" has been a core
> > feature of Java from the beginning.  Java gets high scores for making
> > "network programming" easy.  Some languages make network programming
> > equally easy, others do not.
> >

> Especially if you love having to catch exceptions on *every* method call.
>
> --Dave

That's going away in Java 7.  No more checked exceptions.

However, remotes calls would be a good case for a checked exception.
I'll let you in on a little secret...  The network...  It isn't
reliable.  Yes, I know you're stunned.  But sometimes the network
connection fails for various reasons, thus you SHOULD handle that
exceptional execution path.

-Bryan