Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 14:44:21 MDT 2007

> I dunno Charles I thought the exact same thing when I was asked the question.
> My guess would be an application which communicates across a network.
> Sincerely,
> Steve
> On 10/29/07, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 11:16:01AM -0600, Steve wrote:
> > > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > > What is the best language for writing network enabled applications or...
> >
> > What's a "network enabled application"? Besides ADB (Another Damned
> > Buzzword)?

Well, not quite.  I think that some languages/platforms are more
network friendly than others.  For example, with Java, I can "remote"
objects from one machine to another with very little code.  No
creating a custom protocol, no sockets, no marshaling bits, no
low-level stuff.  Worried about the security of that?  Well java has a
built-in security manager that a person can configure to allow or
disallow specific types of remote (or local) objects.  Want your
remote java objects to be consumed by a non-java client?  No problem,
without changing code, you can export your remote methods as
SOAP-based web services.  Wanted RESTful web services instead?  No
problem, without a code change, that can be done too.  How about
XML-RPC?  Corba?  All can be done easily with Java.  JDK6 even comes
with a tiny web server so you can server up web services without
messing with deployment at all.

Remoting objects and "Remote Method Invocation" has been a core
feature of Java from the beginning.  Java gets high scores for making
"network programming" easy.  Some languages make network programming
equally easy, others do not.