Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Oct 29 12:00:02 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 11:51 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> I'm pretty sure async i/o didn't show up until Java 5 (1.5).  I don't
> believe 1.4 had it natively.  Bryan can set us straight on this.  Of
> course if wasn't in the language until 1.5, this is very significant
> because many programming houses still standardize on Java 1.4.

It looks like it was added in Java 1.4.

        http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/09/04/nio.html

For my money's worth (and I don't code a lot) I wouldn't choose Java for
network programming. It's so verbose with so many layers of indirection.
I would pick Perl, but that's just because that's what I know best.

Corey