Favored Language for Network Enabled Apps.

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Oct 29 11:51:02 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 11:29 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
>> Until very recently Java actually was a very poor language to use for
>> network programming.  It had no support whatsoever for asynchronous I/O,
>> forcing you to resort to threads, which won't scale if you don't use
>> thread pools and other more complicated abstractions.
>
> Define "recently". It's been a while so I don't recall details, but I
> think I remember non-blocking socket capabilities being added to Java
> 1.4 in 2002. Is that what we're talking about here?

Recently can be anything from yesterday to the last geological epoch.

I'm pretty sure async i/o didn't show up until Java 5 (1.5).  I don't
believe 1.4 had it natively.  Bryan can set us straight on this.  Of
course if wasn't in the language until 1.5, this is very significant
because many programming houses still standardize on Java 1.4.