Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:02:22 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards wrote:
>> There's certainly a Linux SIP proxy.  It's called Asterix!
>
> Bzzzt! Asterisk is not a SIP proxy. It's an end point. It's a common
> mistake and the difference is somewhat subtle, but it is important.

Sigh.  I guess I should have added some xml tags to my reply to give
tone and meaning.  But, of course.  And really, though, asterix is the
real solution to his problem. By moving the SIP endpoint to the
firewall, and then having his phones talk to Asterix, this eliminates
the problem quite nicely, and provides a tremendous amount of
functionality.

So basically I'm saying the answer to his problem is probably not a SIP
proxy, although that would work.