Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Oct 29 09:46:33 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 09:31 -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> Kenneth Burgener wrote:
> > As I have been reading about it, I saw one comment made by someone else
> > that seem to indicate that the Linksys is doing some sort of SIP proxy.
> >  Is there a Linux SIP proxy that can pick up on SIP traffic and just
> > magically do it's stuff, similar to the Linksys?  I have no way of
> > configuring the Sipura, so what ever the solution is, it will have to be
> > transparent to the Sipura device.  The Sipura is setup to sent all
> > traffic to the default gateway, which happens to of course be either the
> > Linksys router or the Linux firewall.
>
> There's certainly a Linux SIP proxy.  It's called Asterix!

Bzzzt! Asterisk is not a SIP proxy. It's an end point. It's a common
mistake and the difference is somewhat subtle, but it is important.

If you would like a proxy, there are two great ones I would recommend,
SER and OpenSER (I'm partial to the latter myself). I'm doubtful that a
proxy is required. Clearly removing NAT is the best solution, but then
again I'm a NAT-hating bigot so don't take my word for it. But there
should be a way to get it to work even with the NAT. Knowing where your
packets are actually going will help a lot.

Corey