Iptables breaks a working VoIP phone?

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Mon Oct 29 09:13:24 MDT 2007

Dave Smith wrote:
> Have you run Wireshark on the phone-side to see what the traffic looks
> like in both scenarios (1, with the Linksys router, and 2, with the
> Linux firewall?)

My network is setup like this:

Internet - Comcast Modem - Linux Firewall - Network Switch - Sipura SPA
2100 ATA - All analog phones in house

The Switch should not be broadcasting all traffic to anything other than
the source destination interface ports.  This would leave the Linux
Firewall as the only place I can gather network data.  So I wouldn't be
able to do any network monitoring with the Linksys router swapped out
for the Network Switch.

Kenneth