Old stuff

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sat Oct 27 20:23:36 MDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 20:01 -0600, Jeff Anderson wrote:
> I know projects exist, and most controllers for cnc
> machines are parallel or serial driven, and that is easy enough to
> code for, no matter what operating system you are using.

I hacked this together once in C#.  It was the first code I tested under
Mono.  In fact, I never got it working under Windows because it was a
pain getting full control over the parallel port and before I could
finish, I lost all interest in Windows.  It's somewhat ironic as I
thought I'd code it for Windows and port it to Linux using Mono.
Anyway, on Linux I used parapin[0] and made calls to it from C#.

I would still be interested in making an easy to use, cross platform,
high level, object oriented framework for driving steppers.  I'm not
talking about just spinning them one way or the other, but being able to
set the table size, lead-screw pitch, full steps per revolution, etc.

One day when I'm rich, I'll have time to play with this stuff.  Until
then, if anyone ends up playing with this kinda stuff, please let me
know.

Gabe

1) http://parapin.sourceforge.net/