Cannot Write Log Level?

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Oct 26 21:31:02 MDT 2007

Steve [] wrote:
> <snip>
> However now when I go into yast and try to edit the DB, I get the
> error "Cannot Write Log Level!" and a failure message.  Interestingly
> enough the changes do appear to stick just fine, so the error message
> seems to be in err.
>
> I want to take a wild guess and say it sounds like a permissions
> problem or something on some sort of log file, but I have no idea
> where to begin looking.

Very odd indeed.  Are the files in /var/lib/ldap owned by the ldap
server user?  On Fedora that's "ldap."  How do you know the changes are
sticking as you say?  Are you working with user accounts in LDAP?

Also do the standard ldap command line tools (ldapsearch) work?  I'm
sure Yast logs somewhere.  You might want to see if it's writing
anything to /var/log/messages that would give you more information on
why this is happening.