Remove x number of lines from beginning of file

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Fri Oct 26 11:45:16 MDT 2007

Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> On Friday 26 October 2007, Steve wrote:
>
>> I totally get what you mean about being IO bound, however as I said
>> earlier, there is still CPU time involved, saving 1% may not sound
>> like a lot but it could add up

I totally agree. I did the math, and it would add up to precisly 1%. I'm
no professional so I checked with my financial adviser, and he says that
is not a good ROI. Bummer.

The filesystem hacks proposed would take the other 99% of the wall time
and turn it into virtually 0. In other words, a 2 minute operation could
be made a 2 second operation. That's why those solutions are superior,
and rewriting sed to be a tiny bit faster is not.

--Dave