Remove x number of lines from beginning of file

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 17:52:19 MDT 2007

[OT]
Most MMO's use UDP :)  And yes I am still writing an online book about it.
I've been working on getting my code tightened down as much as
possible, progress is slow and steady, but at least it's progress.  I
think I'll add the UDP based bittorrent replacement to the book.  If
nothing else it would make a good distribution medium for updates.
[/OT]

Anyways back to the subject, I whipped up a little program that should
do the trick.
Compile it and see if the results are a little better.  I can't vouch
that it does anything other than compile correctly, but it looks
mostly correct.

#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>

int main(int argc, char* argv[]){
	if(argc > 2){
		std::string filename = argv[1];
		int skiplines = atoi(argv[2]);
		std::string action = "mv temp.out ";
		std::ifstream infile (filename.c_str());
		std::ofstream outfile ("temp.out");
		std::string line;
		int x = 1;
		if(infile.is_open() && outfile.is_open()){
			while(!infile.eof()){
				getline(infile,line);
				if(x < skiplines){ outfile << line;}else{ x++;}
			}
			infile.close();
			outfile.close();
		        action += filename;
		        system(action.c_str());
		}
	}else{
		std::cout << "frontcate is a program intended to truncate a given
number of lines from the front of a file" << std::endl;
		std::cout << "Usage: truncate FILENAME LINES" << std::endl;
	}

}