Remove x number of lines from beginning of file

Jon Gale donjuanica at
Thu Oct 25 17:16:25 MDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at> wrote:
> You could configure a loopback device on the file with an offset, then
> access
> the loopback device's block device as a file. If you need to append to the
> file, then you will need to pad it first and know at what offset to begin
> writing--or just append to the original file, but it won't be accessible
> the lo device (and you shouldn't write to the portion of the original file
> mapped by the lo device).

Hmm...pretty creative solution that sounds promising.  I'm going to play
with this and maybe the Fuse idea a little bit to see if I can't improve
performance a bit.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

What's this?  Another BLOG?